Position Title: Kitchen Assistant
Supervisor: Head Chef
- Salary/Rate of Pay: $70-90/day depending on experience with Caldera
- Room and board provided during days with programming; room only during non-programming days (Non-programing days are July 16th, July 28th-29th, And August 9th-10th. A light dinner will be provided on staff arrival days. Brunch is served on the last day of each session).
Location: This is a seasonal position at our Arts Center (31500 Blue Lake Drive, Sisters, OR 97756)
Must be available on the following dates and times to start each session:
- Arrive between 9:00-10:00 am July 11 to prep for Staff Training July 12-15
- Arrive between 1:00-2:00 pm July 17* for the Immersion 1 session July 18-27
- Arrive between 4:00-5:00 pm July 30* for the Immersion 2 session July 31-Aug 8
- Arrive between 4:00-5:00 pm Aug 11* for the Discovery session Aug 12-19
*Indicates half day compensation
Choose one or more sessions; placement is dependent on availability & scheduling
(must be available for all dates in session(s) chosen)
- Immersion: July 18-27 Session for 11th-12th graders
- Immersion 2: July 31 - August 8 Session for 9th-10th graders
- Discovery: August 12-19 Session for 7th-8th graders
- Kitchen Set-Up July 11 (arrive by 10am)
- Staff Training July 12-15 - 4 days (provide meals for 40-60 adults and participate in training)
- Immersion 1 July 18-27 (approx. 60 youth, 50 adults)
- Immersion 2 July 31-Aug 8 (approx. 60 youth, 50 adults)
- Discovery August 12-19 (approx. 60 youth, 50 adults)
Position overview: At Caldera, the kitchen staff is a very important part of the Caldera Community and is welcome to participate in daily program activities when kitchen duties are complete. Head Chef, Sous Chef, and five Kitchen Assistants maintain Caldera’s kitchen. Kitchen staff prepare meals that are healthy, delicious, and appealing to both youth and adults. Kitchen Assistants are responsible for helping with meal preparation and kitchen maintenance, as well as maintaining a friendly, sanitary kitchen and dining space. This position begins before youth and staff arrive.
- Maintain a clean, healthy work environment
- Help with meal preparation, providing abundant meals on a tight budget
- Follow serving guidelines while being sensitive to youth who may be familiar with the concept of scarcity and feelings of hunger.
- Assist with set up and take down of kitchens
- Follow meal schedule determined by Head Chef and Camp Manager
- Share dishwashing and cleaning duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Promote program understanding and involvement through Caldera’s goals and agreements, participation agreement, and responsibility process
- Actively participate in all aspects of camp life including: camper orientation, community meetings, evening activities, campfire, free time, etc.
- Model appropriate camper behavior at all times
- Perform duties with consistency and integrity
- Set and respect personal boundaries while acting as mentors, guides, and allies to campers
- Oversee health and safety of charges in fire drills and emergency procedures
- Maintain cleanliness of living and common areas and help with clean-up at the end of each session
- Current Oregon Food Handler’s Permit required (please attach)
- Prior experience in food service, nutrition and/or youth programming is desirable
- Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular and long hours. Additionally, you must have the ability to deal with limited cell service, internet connection and daily exposure to outdoor factors such as sun, heat, bugs, bats, snakes, etc.
- Requires on-site living in shared staff quarters
- Room and board provided during days with programming; room only during non-programming days
- A vegetarian option (that may include eggs and/or dairy) will be available for all meals. Other Dietary restrictions are considered when planning meals, however, employees with special dietary needs should plan to bring food to supplement or replace provided meals.
- Typical days are 10-12 hours in length, with sessions that make for up to 10 straight days of work without a full day off.
- Must be physically able to move around 116 acres of camp property with varied terrain
- Must have visual, perceptual, and cognitive ability to recognize and respond quickly to health and safety concerns of students and to deal appropriately with any improper behavior.
- Employee must carry out their duties regardless of inclement weather, which can include heat, rain, smoky, cold, and windy conditions
- Noise level ranges from very quiet (i.e. forest trail) to loud (i.e. concert)
- Physical Demands (which can include bending, stooping, hiking, climbing and stretching) are: 5% Sitting, 65% Standing, 10% Walking, 20% Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling Pounds 5 -80 lbs.
We recognize that Caldera communities face many societal inequities. We recognize the history and ongoing impacts of racism in our country, state, and institutions. We acknowledge that we will always have room to grow as an organization and as individuals in our understanding of racism and oppression.
We commit to continually examining our role in both perpetuating and combating institutional racism. We also commit to ongoing alignment of our policies and practices to advance racial equity, inclusion, and freedom of expression.
We commit to integrating equity and inclusion into all areas of our work to better serve our mission; when we do, we get closer to the world that we want for our youth. To ensure our own accountability, we will 1) seek deeper relationships with and feedback from our larger community; 2) use our Equity Plan to guide ongoing work; and 3) apply our Equity Lens to decision-making. We will also seek inspiration from artistic and cultural traditions.
Caldera is an equal opportunity employer encouraging applicants of all backgrounds and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We encourage people of color and Caldera community members to apply.